Pet Diagnostic Services at West Village Veterinary Hospital
West Village Veterinary Hospital leads the way in offering our patients state-of-the-art veterinary hospital services without having to leave lower Manhattan. Our extensive range of diagnostic tools for testing, monitoring, and evaluating your pet’s health means that a diagnosis can be made sooner and treatment can occur faster.
- In-house laboratory: Most blood test results are available within 30-60 minutes, thereby helping us to make a rapid diagnosis. We also have relationships with several labs across the country to ensure that the proper diagnostic testing is available when an outside lab is required.
- Xray: Radiology is used to diagnose bone, joint, lung, spinal, urinary, liver, and many other diseases. All of our x-ray machines are calibrated and tested as required by the NYC Department of Health.
- EKG (Electrocardiography): EKG, along with ultrasound, is used to for the diagnosis of heart disease, as well as to monitor heart activity during anesthesia.
- Ultrasound / Echocardiography: Our staff includes a board-certified veterinary internist, as well as a specialist in cardiology who both perform ultrasound and echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart). These noninvasive procedures measure the size, shape, and other qualities of the internal organs in the process of making a diagnosis.
- Cytology: Cytology, the “study of cells,” uses the microscope for the diagnosis of skin disease, skin growths, cancers, ear infections, and many other problems.
- Endoscopy: A fiber-optic pathway allows for viewing the stomach, lungs, or colon to diagnose disease without surgery. A secondary channel within the scope allows specimens to be taken for laboratory analysis. Endoscopy requires sedation or light anesthesia.
- Laparoscopy: Similar to endoscopy, dog/cat laparoscopy uses a scope to evaluate organs in the abdomen or chest and to collect samples through a small surgical incision. Some surgeries are also performed using this technique. Laparoscopy requires general anesthesia